SNOWWATER AT A GLANCE
Resort & Destination
- Location: Situated on 21 acres of private terrain at 5400 ft. in the Bonnington Mountains, Snowwater Lodge is a 10-minute flight from their heli base in the South Slocan and a three and a half hour drive north of Spokane, WA. The office of Snowwater is a 15-minute drive from Castlegar airport. The lodge would be an hour’s drive if you could drive there in the winter.
- Founded: In 1994, owner Patric Maloney and friends handcrafted the timber frame lodge, built to withstand severe winter storms. The lodge is made with larch and Douglas fir timbers, and it stands strong amidst the beautiful surroundings of British Columbia. Snowwater is 100% Canadian Owned & Operated.
- Operating Season: December 20th – April 15th.
- Mountain Range: Selkirk and Purcell Mountains.
- Annual Snowfall: Approximately 500 inches (1270 cms).
- Highest Peak: Snowcrest Peak: 9400ft, Purcell Mountains.
- Equipment we supply: We supply Barryvox digital avalanche transceivers, personal back packs with individual water bottles, avalanche probes and shovels. We also carry an assortment of Rossignol fat skis perfectly suited to powder skiing.
- Guide Certifications: ACMG, CSGA, or UIAGM. All guides also have CAA level 2, and advanced wilderness or occupational first aid.
- Ski Terrain: Over 150,000 acres of breathtaking peaks, pillow fields and bowls saturated with deep blankets of Kootenay powder.
- Facilities: The exclusive mountain lodge is an enclave of 3 main buildings. Two of these house the 12 guests, while the main lodge is where dining and lounging take place. An outdoor hot tub and professional massage services are also available. Complimentary wireless Internet, Ipod docks and satellite TV are also included. On-site heli pad is five minutes from the main lodge door.
- Accommodations: Six deluxe guest rooms with two queen-sized beds, luxurious down duvet, fluffy bathrobes for all guests, ensuite bathrooms with full amenities, and heated slate floors throughout, not to mention the spectacular Valhalla views.
- Machinery (both North American products): The Snowwater Helicopter is an elite B2 A-Star, accommodating four guests, one guide, and a pilot. All guests sit facing forward with access to incredible panoramic views of the mountain ranges. The back-up snowcat is a Bombardier MP+ seating twelve passengers in the fully heated cab with recliner high back seats and one intense sound system.
- Dining: An accomplished executive chef and select wine list make dining part of the peak experience. Catering to all dining needs, the team at Snowwater is as passionate about serving fresh, mouthwatering meals as they are about chasing deep, untouched powder. Guests won’t find the standard ski grub here as the focus is on organic and tasty.
- Snowwater Heli-Skiing – Sustainable Efforts: Offering access to the mountains for domestic and international guests, this supernatural interaction with nature has motivated Snowwater to implement comprehensive practices in order to conserve and preserve the surrounding beauty. Consistent efforts are made by the Snowwater Team to instill a more meaningful approach to environmental stewardship, social and economic responsibility such as:
- Snowcats powered by bio diesel:
- A micro-hydro plant onsite
- A governing recycling program in place for food and beverage
- An ongoing seed collection program dedicated to reforestation in the surrounding areas
- Ongoing recycling program
- Snowwater’s ‘Eye in the Sky’ where no operating occurs in western conservancy land (in protection of endangered cariboo), locally employed guides, and land conservation efforts (in donation form) are encouraged while staying at the property.
- Environmental Legacy Program: A resort-wide commitment to research, conservation and enhancement invites guest participation in initiatives focused on preserving the habitat of endangered Woodland Caribou.
- Heli Skiing – All trips include three delicious meals a day, double occupancy accommodation, personal safety gear, and professional guides. Heli packages range from two – seven day unlimited vertical, all-inclusive trips in the high season, to classic heli trips in the shoulder season including 13,500 vertical feet a day.
- Cat Skiing – Failsafe bad weather backup. If weather prohibits flying, all twelve guests jump in the snowcat and head out for some incredible steep tree skiing and boarding. If the weather gets better, the heli can meet them in the field or they can ski right to the lodge to continue with the heli program.
- Additional Winter Activities - Dog sledding, sleigh rides, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, yoga and stretching.
- Summer Activities – Horseback riding, yoga, fly-fishing, hiking, mile-high picnics.
- Safety precautions – Safety is taken very seriously at Snowwater Heli-Skiing. All guests participate in the beacon & avalanche training session before entering backcountry. Top of the line safety gear for all shapes, sizes and ages is included for all guests
Rates & Packages
Two to seven night packages include shuttle service, deluxe lodge accommodation, three gourmet meals a day, along with complimentary snacks, beverages (including alcohol and unlimited vertical heli skiing in the high season), safety gear, and professional guides for seasonal activities. Snowwater offers guaranteed skiing/boarding for guests, regardless of weather conditions. With the back-up snowcat available, guests can reach at least 13,500 vertical feet daily.
We will be offering three main packages in 2010:
- Kootenay Sampler – A progressive powder experience over 6 or 7 days. Each trip starts with an evening in Rossland and warm up day at Red Resort. Then you'll visit Valhalla Powdercats for 2 days of skiing or riding in the legendary Valhalla Mountain Range, and stay at the Prestige Resort in Nelson on the waterfront on Kootenay Lake. Day 4 is about rejuvenation. Visit Ainsworth Hotsprings before flying up to our mountaintop lodge for the pinnacle of this great trip. The trip culminates in 2 or 3 days of exclusive heli skiing at Snowwater.
Packages start at CDN$3390.00, per person, for six days to $5350.00, per person, for seven days, high season.
- Unlimited vertical, all-inclusive heli package – For the true heli connoisseur. During peak season (Jan 15-March15) Snowwater only offers this package offering guests unlimited heli service, three gourmet meals a day along with complimentary snacks, alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages, deluxe accommodations, safety gear, and professional guides. (Cellared wine and premium liquor is extra). Prices range from CDN $4200- $10360, depending on package and time of year. Please see heli adventures for details.
- Classic Heli Ski Package – includes 13,500 vertical feet a day, plus all the basics listed above. Packages are from CDN $2850-$6300,
Do you need a story idea? Want to talk to an avalanche expert? We make it easy for you by providing great images, stories and industry experts to help you capture the exhilaration of the Snowwater Helicopter Skiing experience.
To arrange interviews, request a photo or stock video, or for anything else to assist with your story, please contact Patric Maloney email@example.com or Mariah Grant firstname.lastname@example.org or via the office at 250-359-7665 or 1-866-722-7669 .
Snowwater's first wedding! 2009
" I have to say that Snowwater made mine and my wifes fantasy become reality. Not only did they help find and coordinate a Minister “Marriage Commissioner”. They executed the complex set of events of surrounding it flawlessly. The owners flew with my soon to be wife and witnesses to the marriage. We married and skied down a beautiful run to the lodge. Snowwater cuisine is absolutely amazing all of the guests raved about how great the food is at snowwater and I have to agree it is the best among all of the food I have eaten. The lodge is remote and intimate, it requires an extra heli flight in (an added bonus) the rooms are luxurious and comfortable with in floor heat. You can leave your wet gloves on the floor and they are dry in the morning!
Ultra professional and super duper fun is the best way I could describe everyone at Snowwater from the owners Patric and Maria to the office Staff Lisa and Tessa, to the guides, bartender, chef,and support staff. My experience at Snowwater far outshined any other that I have ever had in my life. Snowwater far exceeded my expectations on every level from start to finish. I could go on and on. Oh I almost forgot to mention that the skiing was amazing. And the Helicopter pilot was amazing. I could go on and on……..
I cant say enough, but if someone else wants a heli ski trip and needs any special considerations that doesn’t want to be over charged, Snowwater is their place, my place."